Posted on August 28 2018
Aaah good ol’ booch aka kombucha! This fermented tea has been consumed for thousands of years and contains tons of rich and beneficial probiotics that help to improve digestion and relieve bloat and gas. Can we getta amen!? Today we’ll go over some of the benefits this “immortal health elixir” offers that will take your health to the next level.
What is Kombucha?
Kombucha is typically made from a black tea and sugar that has been introduced to a yeast + bacteria concoction aka a SCOBY (symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast). The yeast and bacteria feed off of the sugar during the fermentation process, resulting in a naturally fizzy tonic that can taste sweet or vinegary in flavor depending on how long the fermentation process lasts. Herbs and spices can be added to the mix for flavor.
Kombucha contains powerful antioxidants, probiotics, and a variety of B vitamins:
- Antioxidants help to fight free radicals that essentially oxidize cells that can lead to a variety of illnesses, diseases, and aging more quickly.
- Probiotics are “happy bacteria” that keep the digestive system happy. They help the absorption of vitamins and minerals, protect against infection, and help to break down proteins and fats to be used as energy.
- Vitamin B1 aka thiamine helps to stimulate digestion, keep energy levels high, and protects the nerves and boosts memory.
- Vitamin B2 or riboflavin like probiotics, help the body to digest fats, proteins, and carbohydrates as well as oxygen to be used as energy by the body.
- Vitamin B3 aka niacin helps to regulate diabetes, nourishes the skin, fights fatigue and depression, as well as helps to create solid bowel movements.
- Vitamin B6 also helps to relieve fatigue, mood swings, promotes eye health, helps keep the skin clear and dewey, and helps the liver to detox. Kombucha after a late night is sounding about right!
- Vitamin B12 helps to regulate metabolism, keeps digestive processes moving smoothly, boosts immunity, and are also great for the hair and skin.
- Kombucha can help to regulate your pH. When your pH is low, you are more acidic and more prone to imbalances like skin rashes, weight gain, diabetes, illness and disease. When your pH is balanced, you are more alkaline, which keeps your immune system strong to ward off any of the aforementioned deficiencies.
Aside from drinking it straight from the bottle, you can also use kombucha as a marinade for veggies, in your fave homemade salad dressing (pour a bit over your salad then mix OR stir into your dressing and be careful not to shake before using or it could explode!). You can also add a bit to cocktails for a healthy twist!
Get Your 'Booch
Aside from being an awesome company with a great mission and values, Health-Ade Kombucha is the F+T fam’s booch of choice because of their high-quality production methods: They brew using glass containers in comparison to metal or plastic so don’t have to worry about contaminants leaching into your booch.
Health-Ade brews in small batches instead of large batches to keep quality a priority - you know you’re getting the best in every bottle. They use fresh cold-pressed juices to flavor the booch - no artificial flavors or coloring, just real ingredients that make us and our guts happy!
While delivery is currently only available in the LA/OC area, Health-Ade can be found in Fresh Market, Whole Foods, and other grocery stores and restaurants nationwide. You can also find this 'Booch at the Women Empowered Tour as one of our sponsors! Find a store near you and grab your bottle today.
Flavors the Fit + Thick team is diggin’:
Nicole (Owner and Founder), is jiving with the new jalapeño-kiwi-cucumber Health-Ade recently dropped for the summa summa time.Chabelys aka Chabs (Customer Service + Sales Manager), is chuggin’ on the Cayenne Cleanse.
Suz (Sales Associate + Media Specialist), is sittin’ pretty with the Pomegranate flavor.
Noelle (Project Manager), is sippin’ on the Sweet Thorn and Maca-Berry flavors.
Be sure to check out @healthade on Instagram and let us know what flavor booch you’re jammin' with this summer in the comments below!
Author: Shera Lee
Shera is one of our Chicago Ambassadors;
she shares info on self-care, mental fitness, and
preventative wellness on her website www.sheslively.com.